Sunday, January 3, 2010

Sarah Cihat: Sustainable Dishware


photo via inspire*inspire

I discovered Sarah Cihat a few months ago and am completely enamored with her work. Be sure to check out her website to see her latest stuff... my favorite collection is still her original "Rehab" collection of rehabilitated ceramics. The entire concept is totally green, creative, and fabulous and, for those of you who have read the book Cradle to Cradle, a great example of upcycling...


(By the way, if you have not read Cradle to Cradle, I strongly recommend it. The official information is Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things, but William McDonough and MichaelBraungart).


Anyway, back to Sarah Cihat... she takes old vintage and used ceramics from second hand and thrift stores and redesigns them to create amazingly gorgeous indie collections of ceramic dishware.

One of my favorites of her many designs is the swallow shown below. This particular piece is incredible - I love the placement of the bird and the way just a bit of the original plate pattern peeks through the glaze. Stunning!



Sarah Cihat has some additional collections posted on her website that are also worth browsing.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love the book Cradle to Cradle. Great read. I look forward to more posts Lara. Inspiring resolution!

    ReplyDelete